[Tweeters] Bird-finding guides (was: Field guide needs)

Wayne Weber contopus at telus.net
Thu Mar 1 18:30:39 PST 2012

Jeremy (and Tweeters),

Apparently, you don't own-- and perhaps have never seen-- the Pettingill
bird-finding guides. I have copies of all 4 guides (the eastern and western
guides, 1st and 2nd editions), and was a contributor to the 2nd edition of
the western guide. I found these guides invaluable, and they set the tone
for many of the statewide and local bird-finding guides that came afterward.

Obviously, a book that covers half a continent cannot cover the area in as
much detail as a book that covers a single state. Nevertheless, the
Pettingill guides did a superb job of covering all of the U.S. in a
standardized fashion, not leaving out any states.

The alternative is buying 50 separate guides for the U.S., plus 10 for
Canada (or 13 if you include the Territories), which gets to be a pretty
expensive proposition. And that's assuming that there are guides available
for every state and province, which there are not (e.g., no recent guide for
BC!!).

As for Oregon, everyone on Tweeters should be aware of the excellent ONLINE
bird-finding guide put together by the East Cascades Audubon Society, which
is available at http://birdingoregon.info . This guide lists MORE THAN 1000
birding sites in Oregon, although info on some of them is quite brief. The
only problem is that you have to have online access to use it when away from
home, which I don't, although that may change in the near future.

Wayne C. Weber

Delta, BC

contopus at telus.net