[Tweeters] Odd Canadian Goose Behavior in the Sammamish Slough

A Mackenzie alexam at u.washington.edu
Mon Mar 5 13:27:42 PST 2012

I saw half a dozen Canada Geese a week ago doing backflips in the Montlake
Cut (Seattle) -- they would flip onto their backs with their heads
submerged and their feet flapping in the air for a second or two, then
flip back up. I found a video on YouTube by someone else (in the midwest)
who recorded this behavior here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmNgoBhVsdc

The video shows exactly the same behavior I saw. My geese didn't do the
diving/complete submersion that yours did, but it was certainly something
I'd not see before and quite fun to watch.

-Alex MacKenzie
Seattle
alexam at uw.edu