[Tweeters] White tailed eagle

Barry Ulman ubarry at qwest.net
Mon Mar 19 23:57:15 PDT 2012

Sorry to be the bearer of disappointing news, but I looked at the photograph, and it strikes me as an immature Bald Eagle, perhaps in transition from second-year to third-year plumage. For one thing, the shape is wrong. According to field guides I've consulted, the White-tailed Eagle has a short, rather wedge-shaped tail. This bird has a very ample tail, much more like a Bald. There is considerable white speckling on the underside, like a second-year Bald, and the wing linings are losing their white, like a third-year bird. I believe some third-year Bald Eagles can have a fair amount of white in the tail. But I'd love it if I could be proven wrong!

Barry Ulman
Bellingham, WA.