[Tweeters] Gazzam Lake ducks

STEPHEN HUBBARD shubbard at u.washington.edu
Thu Mar 22 16:45:31 PDT 2012

Went out to the lake access site at Gazzam Lake on Bainbridge Tuesday 3/20 at about 4 pm. There was a flock of about 20 Bufflehead, all ages and both sexes; a few Common Goldeneye, the usual Mallards and a Coot. More unusual were 3 Ring-Necked Duck (2 male, 1 female) and 2 pairs of Wood Duck (keeping next to and into the weeds near some Mallards). Might keep an eye out for nesting Wood Ducks around the lake. Swung by the Schel-Shelb (sp?) estuary and saw 5 or 6 Green-winged Teal (always a lovely sight--I especially like the way the female is so typical hen-duck-like but then has that single emerald-green wing patch like a solitary jewel...the male is no slouch either, of course) and one very Great Blue Heron.

I had a brief look at the lagoon by the Yesler Swamp last Friday (3/16)at 10 am which yielded in addition to the usual Mallards, Widgeon, Coots etc., several Ring-Necked Ducks, a Green-winged Teal, 3 Gadwall, and a male Hooded Merganser. A cold and windy morning pushed quite a few ducks into the shelter of the lagoon. I wished I had more time, warmer clothes, and had brought my spotting scope.

Stephen Hubbard
Bainbridge Island