[Tweeters] Re: status of Black-capped Chickadee in the San Juan Islands

Charles Swift chaetura at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 12:04:15 PDT 2012

Interestingly there is an old Black-capped Chickadee record for San Juan
Island in eBird from one Kenn Kauffman! But in response to my email I have
received no first hand reports of Black-capped Chickadee for the islands
although I did get an intriguing second-hand report of BC Chickadees
regularly coming to a feeder outside of Friday Harbor. If this is the case
it should be possible to document them relatively easily and I have passed
that report along to a resident birder on San Juan Island. There are
additional recent eBird records around Friday Harbor so it is possible
there is small population here but this needs to be confirmed. Like others
I assumed based on the reference mentioned and limited personal experience
that BCCH are not present in the islands.

It does appear that the San Juan County eBird filter for BC Chickadee is
set so that records can be submitted without confirmation. There are in
fact a good number of BCCH records in eBird for San Juan county - I counted
about 30 pins and some of those pins represent multiple records. So
probably these records need to be reviewed by the WA eBird folks (in case
they are reading). I did look at southern Vancouver Island in eBird and
there are no BCCH records there.

thanks, Charles.

email: chaetura at gmail.com

email: chaetura at gmail.com