[Tweeters] Skamania County Birds

Wilson Cady gorgebirds at juno.com
Sun Mar 25 21:21:56 PDT 2012

Les Carlson, Barry Woodruff and I spent the day birding along Highway 14, in Skamania County. We started the day out at my house where we tallied 20 species before heading out. The best birds at home were BAND-TAILED PIGEON, RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER, HAIRY WOODPECKER and PILEATED WOODPECKER. There were a good mix of species around Skamania Landing including the first of three TURKEY VULTURES that we found there along with the only KILLDEER of the day. Both TREE and VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS were over the lake. As we turned off of to Hamilton Island, below Bonneville Dam. we encountered two pair of WESTERN BLUEBIRDS in the weeds along the road. A small flock of WESTERN MEADOWLARKS near the juvenile fish passage release chute were a nice find as was the WESTERN GULL sitting on the chute near the water cannon. Our only other good bird for the day was a COMMON LOON on Drano Lake. We did have three more TURKEY VULTURES near Underwood. Upon return to my place we found our 70th bird of the day, a DOWNY WOODPECKER, which along with a NORTHERN FLICKER seen earlier, was the fifth woodpecker species for the day at home. Wilson Cady