[Tweeters] Leahy Junction sage grouse and Banks Lake turkey vultures

heapbigdoc at netscape.net heapbigdoc at netscape.net
Sun Mar 25 22:23:19 PDT 2012

Finally got out to the Leahy Junction sage grouse lek in Douglas County, WA at the right time of day on Saturday, 3/24. Between 6:45 and 7:30 AM there were 19 males and five visible females on the lek. Note that the current lek is southwest of the viewpoint, not northwest as stated in Opperman.

On the way home we saw we saw two turkey vultures soaring just over the south dam causeway of Banks lake. Seems early for them to be here.

PS - Do strutting sage grouse with their puffed out chests trimmed with a ruff of white feathers remind anyone else of a bunch of rich, fat medieval merchants?

-Roy A Myers, Electric City, Wa