[Tweeters] Art/Speaker Event: Saving Birds in South Korea

Adam Sedgley sedge.thrasher at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 09:21:29 PDT 2012

Hi Tweets

For those with an interest in bird-related art and international
conservation efforts, I recently learned of an event at Art Exchange
Gallery in Pioneer Square with Korean activist and artist Gillchun Koh, who
is trying to save valuable habitat for birds in South Korea (from a US
military development). Valuable stopover habitat for increasingly rare
shorebirds are being reclaimed in Korea at an alarming rate.

Learn more about the event below.

Link to the gallery: http://www.artxchange.org/index.htm

Adam Sedgley
S e a t t l e, WA
sedge.thrasher [at] gmail [dot] com

We are very excited to announce our upcoming show Where We Meet, opening
April 5, featuring four artists from Korea, China, Japan, and the USA who
use artistic processes to explore their relationship with nature and human
culture’s impact on the environment.

*Saturday, April 21 at 3pm* (the day before Earth Day), *Mr. Gillchun Koh*,
visiting from *South Korea*, will discuss the intersection of his art and
activism. His blindfolded birds give voice to the story of migratory birds
and the military development that eats away at their habitat on Jeju
Island, South Korea. At the bottom of this email are some web links about
Jeju Island, birds and the naval base issues.

Koh has previously lectured at New York State University with Gloria
Steinem and in Boston with Professor Noam Chomsky, both of whom are
supporters of the Jeju Island peace activists against construction of a
joint Korea/USA naval base being built off the coast of this
UNESCO-designated world heritage site, also known as Peace Island.

Koh, who has traveled to the Pacific NW for two residencies at Centrum,
will be staying in Seattle and Port Townsend throughout the month of April.
Don’t hesitate to contact ArtXchange if you would like to meet Mr. Koh for
interviews or to learn more about his work. Please let me know you
received this email.

Click here for a recommended article from the Jeju Weekly about Gillchun
Koh: http://www.jejuweekly.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=1593