[Tweeters] Marymoor Park Report (Redmond, King Co., WA) 2012-03-29

Michael Hobbs BirdMarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Mar 29 12:58:30 PDT 2012

Tweets - it rained. All morning it was dark, with moderately light but
steady rain. Unrelenting rain. Mostly, birds were hunkered down, though
there was a fair amount of singing nonetheless.

Rufous Hummingbird 2 males; 1 displaying at s. end of dog area
Northern Shrike Vocalizing from NE corner of East Meadow
Varied Thrush Male west of park office
Yellow-rumped Warbler Singing, with both Aud. & Myrt. seen
Townsend's Warbler One near concert stage
Savannah Sparrow One singing near E end of Snag Row
Fox Sparrow Many, including lots of singing
Purple Finch Many, many, with lots of singing
Red Crossbill Male NE of mansion

Yesterday, I birded Marymoor for 3 hours in the morning with a visiting
birder from South Dakota. We had 5 species of woodpecker, including dueling
RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKERS just east of the mansion. As we came into the East
Meadow, a flock of CEDAR WAXWINGS flew south towards us. One was clearly
bigger, and as they banked right in front of us, it was easy to see the
flock contained the BOHEMIAN WAXWING. They may have been unsuccessfully
searching for red berries, for they never landed, flying off to the
northwest. We also had the RED CROSSBILL in the same place as today.

Monday, there were at least 2 CACKLING GEESE in a flying flock of CANADA
GEESE. Getting late for them here.

I also received a photo of a SAY'S PHOEBE that was present on Saturday in
the East Meadow.

For the day, I believe we had 55 species (not bad at all, considering the
weather). For the week, 62 species. Only the Say's Phoebe was new for the
year, bringing the year list to 93.

== Michael Hobbs
== Kirkland, WA
== http://www.marymoor.org/birding.htm