[Tweeters] Bald Eagles on the Nooksack

mthomp1707 at comcast.net mthomp1707 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 2 14:18:46 PST 2013

Last Thursday, December 27th, I went on a photography tour to the Nooksack River to see the congregation of Bald Eagles. It was such a thrill to see so many Eagles at one time. I counted 50 in a small grove of trees I was standing next to and I think there were at least another 50 to 100 nearby. They were feeding on the salmon that had spawned and died and the food fights that irrupted made for some amazing photos. I made a set of the best of the day on Flickr at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mickthompson/sets/72157632405012834/

In addition to the Bald Eagles I also saw a few Common Mergansers and an American Dipper, which was a new life list bird for me. So if you've never had a chance to see this wonderful sight on the Skagit or the Nooksack, I hope you get the chance to check it out.

Many thanks to Aaron Baggenstos of aaronstours.com for an amazing experience.

Mick Thompson
Chapter Photographer
Eastside Audubon Society
Woodinville, WA