[Tweeters] Birds Today in Mason County

Lee Rentz lee at leerentz.com
Fri Jan 4 19:55:19 PST 2013

It was a good day for birds today at our home on Fawn Lake. Last night I spotted a Trumpeter Swan asleep on the lake, and it was still here this morning. This was only the second time in 22 years that I've seen a Trumpeter here; it took off soon after waking up this morning. Then, on a Red Huckleberry in the yard, I saw a brilliant Townsend's Warbler. When I went out jogging, I saw and heard my first Red-winged Blackbird of the new year proclaiming its territory from atop a lakeside cattail. While I was out, I missed the most exciting event of the day: Karen suddenly heard the sound of a dozen birds hitting the windows. Then a Sharp-shinned Hawk flew fast and hard across the deck, stopping to snatch a dazed chickadee. Usually the hawks get the siskins, but this time he got lucky.

Lee Rentz
lee at leerentz.com
Shelton, WA