[Tweeters] Capital Lake: Canvas Backs and Ruddy Ducks

ray holden rayleeholden at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 4 22:23:38 PST 2013

I found one pair of Canvas Backs pretty much in the center of the north basin and a Ruddy Duck in the SE quadrant close to the shore.  The m/f Canvas Backs were especially pretty but were at 60x range.  Probably more Ruddy Ducks but didn't have time to completely search the lake.  Two handsome male Eurasian Wigeons swimming in the first raft  south of the the railroad trestle which historically is called the middle basin.  Technically the south basin is what is now the cat-tail marsh south of the freeway bridge by the old brewery.  I've noticed that people seem to no longer consider it part of the lake but it wasn't always a marsh.  It was very much a lake when I moved to Oly in 1986.  It is the south basin.   This is the natural process that the whole lake is going through.  If not dredged it will all be a marsh in a few more years.

Ray Holden
Olympia, WA

Life is for the birds.