[Tweeters] "Washington Birder" listing question

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 8 07:25:15 PST 2013

Dear Tweeters,

I think I may have asked this question here before, but here goes.

The categories in the "Washington Birder" listing report sheet include "N Cascades N. P."

I have gone back and forth in my mind, as to whether this includes just the Park, proper, or the two recration areas. I'd love to hear what other
Tweeters think about this--do we consider this a list for the Park, proper, or do we include Ross Lake National Recreation Area and Lake Chelan National Recreation Area as well? Ross Lake NRA in particular includes some excellent birding areas that are easily reached by car--County Line Ponds, Newhalem Ponds, Newhalem itself, Diablo, Colonial Creek Campground, and so forth.

Besides myself, only seven other birders have lists shown on "Washington Birder" for this Park, as of last year. One of those is of course the late Patrick Sullivan, with 107 species. I haven't gotten around to asking Howard Armstrong about his list, which stands at 93. Unlike most birders, Howard has spent enormous amounts of time in the remote areas of the Park, during his climbing days, so his 93 might actually be within the Park itself.

Here is a link to the Park Service's map: http://www.nps.gov/noca/index.htm .

As the map shows, there are very, very few places where the average tourist can get into the Park itself without a hike. Most of those
hikes cross serious mountain terrain. The single easy exception is Cascade Pass, where one can drive right into the Park. One could also take a boat to Stehekin and go up a road from there, leading into the Park. As far as I know, that's it--the rest of the vast Park area can be reached only by a hike--and most of those hikes are long, difficult, wilderness treks. Some of them require a combination of a boat ride and a hike!

Driving up State Highway 20, between Marblemount and Newhalem, there is a big new sign for North Cascades National Park, complete with faux glacier. I'm sure that many visiting birders passing this way assume that they are in the park, but they're actually "only" in the Ross Lake NRA.

Here is a link to the Park's bird checklist:

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/birds/chekbird/r1/ncascade.htm

It is interesting to note that this checklist includes the two Recreation Areas. This seems to answer the question I've posed, but it would be interesting to hear whether Tweeters take the same approach.

If I get some replies to this query, I'd be happy to send back a summary of the results to Tweeters.

Yours truly,

Gary Bletsch

Near Lyman, Washington (Skagit County), USA

garybletsch at yahoo.com

"Nun," sagte ich, "wenn ich ein Taugenichts bin, so ist's gut, so will ich in die Welt gehen, und mein Glueck machen." Und eigentlich war mir das recht lieb, denn es war mir kurz vorher selber eingefallen, auf Reisen zu gehen, da ich die Goldammer, welche im Herbst und Winter immer betruebt an unserm Fenster sang: "Bauer, miet' mich, Bauer, miet' mich!" nun in der schoenen Fruehlingszeit wieder ganz stolz und lustig vom Baume rufen hoerte: "Bauer, behalt' deinen Dienst!"