[Tweeters] Australia/New Zealand/Solomon Islands

Helen Heavirland hlh at bmi.net
Tue Jan 8 21:49:54 PST 2013

My husband and I will be traveling and are wondering about the best places to see birds. Also, the best birding field guides for these areas. If you have experience in any of these areas, we'd very much appreciate your suggestions! We plan to rent a car in both Australia & New Zealand, so can choose our own itinerary.

Australia east coast March 21-31, landing in Brisbane, leaving Sydney.
New Zealand March 31-April 9, south and north islands, landing in Christchurch, leaving Aukland.
Solomon Islands March 5-21, Guadalcanal, landing & leaving Honiara, also a 12-hour sailboat ride to the southeast end of the island. We were there once at a school carved out of jungle and saw very few birds.

Feel free to respond privately.

Thank you in advance for the wisdom you'll share!
Helen Heavirland
Walla Walla Valley
hlh at bmi.net