[Tweeters] WOS Field Trip to Nisqually NWR Tuesday January 8th

Shep Thorp shepthorp at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 23:16:19 PST 2013

Hi Tweets,

seven intrepid birders joined me on Tuesday for a wet and breezy morning of
birding at Nisqually. Highlights included great looks at Northern Shrike,
Sharp-shinned Hawk, and Lincoln's Sparrow. The orchard was productive with
Varied Thrush and an intergrade Northern Flicker. The flicker had a red
nape, brown cheek and red and black malar stripe. We also found a roosting
Wilson's Snipe in the flooded field across from the orchard. The mixed
winter flocks along the Twin Barns Loop Trail gave us a break from wiping
down our bins. By the time the tide was pushing in the shorebirds, our
optics were soaked and the wind picked up, so we called it a day and turned
in for lunch.

We had 46 species for day.
Good birding,

Shep Thorp
Browns Point

Cackling Goose (minima) (Branta hutchinsii minima) 1000
Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima) (Branta canadensis moffitti/maxima) 50
Gadwall (Anas strepera) 3
American Wigeon (Anas americana) 100
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) 100
Northern Shoveler (Anas clypeata) 30
Northern Pintail (Anas acuta) 100
Green-winged Teal (American) (Anas crecca carolinensis) 200
Ring-necked Duck (Aythya collaris) 6
Bufflehead (Bucephala albeola) 10
Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula) 3
Hooded Merganser (Lophodytes cucullatus) 3
Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus) 3
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) 15
Northern Harrier (Circus cyaneus) 1
Sharp-shinned Hawk (Accipiter striatus) 1
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) 7
Red-tailed Hawk (Western) (Buteo jamaicensis calurus) 3
Greater Yellowlegs (Tringa melanoleuca) 1
Dunlin (Calidris alpina) 1000
Wilson's Snipe (Gallinago delicata) 1
Mew Gull (Larus canus) 5
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis) 10
Glaucous-winged Gull (Larus glaucescens) 10
Western x Glaucous-winged Gull (hybrid) (Larus occidentalis x glaucescens)
1
Rock Pigeon (Columba livia) 10
Belted Kingfisher (Megaceryle alcyon) 2
Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens) 2
Northern Flicker (Red-shafted) (Colaptes auratus [cafer Group]) 1
Northern Flicker (intergrade) (Colaptes auratus luteus x cafer) 1
Northern Shrike (Lanius excubitor) 2
American/Northwestern Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos/caurinus) 25
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) 10
Brown Creeper (Certhia americana) 2
Pacific Wren (Troglodytes pacificus) 1
Marsh Wren (Cistothorus palustris) 2
Bewick's Wren (Thryomanes bewickii) 1
Golden-crowned Kinglet (Regulus satrapa) 15
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula) 5
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 15
Varied Thrush (Ixoreus naevius) 3
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) 100
Spotted Towhee (Pacific) (Pipilo maculatus [oregonus Group]) 3
Fox Sparrow (Sooty) (Passerella iliaca [unalaschcensis Group]) 3
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 15
Lincoln's Sparrow (Melospiza lincolnii) 3
Golden-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia atricapilla) 20
Dark-eyed Junco (Oregon) (Junco hyemalis [oreganus Group]) 2
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) 4