[Tweeters] Lincoln Co.-WW Crossbills, Pine Grosbeaks

Jonathan B. Isacoff isacoff at gonzaga.edu
Fri Jan 11 16:10:24 PST 2013

Terry Little and I had a great morning around Davenport and Hawk Creek Canyon in Lincoln County. In Davenport Town, we immediately found a flock of about 25 BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS. Davenport Cemetery had 3-4 (or more, hard to tell) WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS continuing since late November in a mixed flock with about 10-12 Red Crossbills. Hawk Creek Canyon was quite birdy, I think the tally was around 43 or 44 species in just the canyon proper, not bad for a 25 degree day with moderate-to-have snow cover. Highlights were:

Cackling Goose
Killdeer - Pretty rare this far NE in mid-winter
Golden Eagle
Northern Shrike - 4 or 5, quite a few for 1 canyon!
Stellar's Jay
Clark's Nutcracker
American Dipper
Canyon Wren
Marsh Wren
Townsend's Solitaire
Varied Thrush
PINE GROSBEAK
Common Redpoll

When we returned to Davenport, we were treated to a MERLIN harassing Starlings and 3 BALD EAGLES flying directly over town. Some photos of the Killdeer and Pine Grosbeaks are on Flickr.

Good birding,
Jon Isacoff, Spokane

Jonathan B. Isacoff
Chair, Environmental Studies