[Tweeters] From the Frosty Snow-woman

Darlene Sybert drsybert at northtown.org
Sun Jan 13 18:35:31 PST 2013

Twenty five degrees here in Cinebar is unusual--even in winter, but that
was the temperature when I looked outside at the feeders at 7 am today.
Most of our recent scanty snow is still on the ground, so I was
surprised to see four Varied Thrush at the ground feeders. Although
VT's are not unusual on my acres, that many at one time at the feeders
are.

Immediately, I decided to start my Project Feederwatch count for today,
so I could include them, but I needn't have bothered. They stayed all
day--now it is five pm and getting dark, and they are hunkering down
under the platform feeders like they planned to spend the night.

The temperature did eventually reach 40, and there were clear skies and
sunshine all day and record numbers of birds of every species. The
largest numbers at any one time were 31 Evening Grosbeak, 25 Juncos, 5
Spotted Towhee, 3 Chestnut-backed Chickadees, 2 Black Caps, 2
Nuthatches, and the Fox and Song Sparrows that live in the brush pile
under the feeders.

Darlene Sybert
Cinebar