[Tweeters] Golden Eagle - YES

johntubbs at comcast.net johntubbs at comcast.net
Wed Jan 16 17:18:14 PST 2013

Hi everyone,

Many thanks to Louise Rutter for the excellent directions in her post this afternoon.  (And also of course, thanks to Mike Hamilton for the initial find and Joyce Meyer for the initial post about the bird or birds.)  I got Louise's post about an hour after she made it and debated whether to make the trek down to Carnation Farm, but hopped in the car and went.  The bird was a bit difficult to spot driving by but given the specificity of her post, I was able to make out the form of the bird and then got out and verified it.  Multiple other people showed up after I was there with glasses on the bird, so a number of other birders had a successful sighting also.

One word of caution if folks look in that same spot tomorrow or later - Carnation Farm road is rather busy for a rural road and there are no safe parking places particularly  close to where the bird was tonight.  Worse, the location is just around a curve, so stopping on the road if coming from the Ames Lake direction is a very bad idea.  There are a couple of spots in both directions of the road away from the site where parking can be had and then the road can be walked to the now-famous 30 mph speed limit sign.  One side of the road has guardrail that you can step over when you get to that location.

Of course, the bird will move around, and may not be in the area for long, but hopefully other folks will get to see this great raptor.

John Tubbs

Snoqualmie, WA

johntubbs at comcast.net