[Tweeters] Swan count week

Martha Jordan swanlady at drizzle.com
Sun Jan 20 19:24:33 PST 2013

This week is the official WDFW swan count week. Whatcom and Skagit counties
are done by WDFW staff a few volunteers. South Snohomish county and
Snoqualmie Valley has been primarily done by myself. Other parts of King
County such as Lake Washington (Juanita and other areas) have been done by
WDFW. This year WDFW is down on staff and may not be able to participate for
the Lake Washington and south into Pierce County. I am attempting to
coordinate some type of survey effort for King and north Pierce counties.

What this means is: if you are out birding and observe swans, please keep
detailed notes of date, time, exact location, trumpeter or tundra (if you
know) and adult vs juveniles. Also note what habitat they are using:
harvested corn, potatoes, pasture, wetland, etc.

Even a fragmented effort will yield important information as there are swans
in the Auburn to Puyallup and more areas this year. Getting information on
them is needed.

Please contact me off list if you are able to provide any assistance or you
end up finding swans on your outings.

Thanks.

Martha Jordan

The Trumpeter Swan Society