[Tweeters] Central Ferry Canyon Blacked-back Woodpeckers

Carol Riddell cariddellwa at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 17:40:37 PST 2013

Thanks to Meredith Spencer's suggestion of snowshoeing into the Packwood Cemetery near the top of Central Ferry Canyon, I had a delightful dilettante's hike on the snow shoes that I have not used in more years than I care to think about. The cemetery was above the fog so the sun on dry snow created diamonds. Hairy and Downy Woodpeckers were easy, but the Black-backed played peekaboo. After an hour and a half I finally had a good view of a male. It was very pleasant just to play around on the snow shoes. It reminded me of the pleasure of simply messing about in boats. I was surprised not to find any Pygmy Nuthatches as the upper part of Central Ferry has been reliable in the past.

I started the day with roadside views of about twelve Sharp-tailed Grouse in the trees adjacent to and on the west side of Bridgeport Hill Road, towards the upper part. Best bird at Bridgeport State Park (no owls) was a Varied Thrush. The Common Redpolls were exactly where Meredith recommended looking for them near the Brewster Market Place grocery store. It was quite a large flock and included a couple of Cassin's Finches.

Saw two Snowy Owls yesterday, west of Mansfield, one at MP 18 and the other at Division Road. Dipped on Snow Buntings.

Carol Riddell
From Chilly Brewster