[Tweeters] South Jetty Snowy - Yes

Hills of Kalama - A & S Hill 60stops2home at kalama.com
Tue Jan 22 21:57:44 PST 2013

In hopes of seeing a life bird (for me), I made the 4-hour round trip to the
Columbia River South Jetty at Fort Stevens Park in Hammond, OR. There were
only two other cars in the corner of parking area C, so I pulled up close to
them. It was nearly to 3 p.m.

Within 5 minutes, a Snowy flew in and perched on a dune - very far away from
me. The bird was so far away that it looked small even in my binoculars. But
I have a long lens, so I photographed it anyway! Poor-quality shot of this
gorgeous bird can be seen here on my flickr photostream:
http://flic.kr/p/dNVKis

I was able to linger less than 15 minutes to watch the owl, since I had to
be home before dark in order to avoid any black ice that may form on Hwy 30.
It was still worth it, though, to see a Snowy Owl in the wild for the first
time in my life.

Happy Birding!

Amy Hill

Kalama, WA