[Tweeters] Eagle ID

cgluckman at aol.com cgluckman at aol.com
Wed Jan 23 20:24:50 PST 2013

While walking on the far northern path in the Reifel Sanctuary last week, a stranger of unknown birding credentials passing by mentioned that there was a Golden Eagle on a tree next to the viewing tower. When we moved in that direction we saw an eagle at the top of the tree by the tower looking around without concern. If he hadn't identified it as a Golden, I would have automatically assumed it was a juvenile Bald Eagle and not stopped to photograph it (having lots of those over the years). It did appear bigger than the usual Bald, but since it was fairly high in the tree and not having a lot of experience with Golden Eagles, I am uncertain of it's ID. I have placed two shots of the same bird on my flickr page for all you eagle experts to try your hand. What do you think and why? Thanks in advance for your comments.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37079820@N07/

David Gluckman
Pt. Townsend, WA