[Tweeters] Sikes Lake, Carnation - Golden Eagle, Common Redpolls

Josh Adams xjoshx at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 17:10:48 PST 2013

Hello Tweets,
After working in California for most of the last two weeks (best
birds, Vermillion Flycatcher and Black Vented Shearwater) I had the
urge to get out an see at least one of the rare birds in the area this
afternoon so I took a late lunch break and drove over to Carnation in
search of the GOLDEN EAGLE that's been present. There were no shortage
of immature Bald Eagles present to provide confusion, but eventually I
stumbled upon three other birders who had already located the Golden
just north of NE 100th at a bend in the river. All my previous GOEA
sitings have been very poor so it was great to get some really good
looks for once. Eventually the Golden flew a hundred feet, briefly
grappled with a nearby immature Bald Eagle and landed in another
nearby tree. There was a large flock of what sounded like mostly
Juncos and House Sparrows feeding in the field just south of the NE
100th. When I went to investigate I found not only the species I could
obviously see, but also Lincoln's, Song and Golden-Crowned Sparrow,
American Goldfinch, and multiple COMMON REDPOLLS. I'm pretty sure I
saw three simultaneously at one point, but there were at least two.

In case anyone wants to go looking tomorrow, my phone listed the
coordinates at the road as 47.68539,-121.970424. The birds were
directly south in the Blackberries and Hawthorne-like tree bordering
the dirt road.

Other good birds in the area were a Peregrine Falcon, Northern
Harrier, and a small flock of Trumpeter Swans.

Josh Adams
Lynnwood, WA