[Tweeters] Island County Birding 01/26/2013

Vincent Lucas vincentlucas5 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 21:13:02 PST 2013

On the way back from a successful Skagit County Gyrfalcon chase, to catch
the ferry at Whidbey Island, David Beatty and I did some Island County
birding. We stopped at Deception Pass SP where we saw hundreds of
Red-throated Loons EVERYWHERE. There were up to a dozen Thayer's Gulls and
an equal or greater number of Black Oystercatchers on a large rocky islet
just off of West Beach. However, perhaps the most unexpected sighting was a
Turkey Vulture I saw at the park. On a large pond across from the Dugualla
Bay Farms on SR20 in Oak Harbor, we saw 8 Canvasbacks and a Ruddy Duck
among others. In all we saw 39 species in perhaps 1-2 hours of birding.

--
Vincent Lucas
Sequim, WA
vincentlucas5 at gmail.com