[Tweeters] Great day in BC!

Michele Leslie Potter michele.leslie at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 21:25:30 PST 2013

Hi Tweets,
We got a late start, but headed up north in search of the BLUETAIL and
BRAMBLING and were lucky enough to get both. We arrived around 1pm and the
red-flanked bluetail made us work for it, but eventually showed up in New
Westminister's Queens Park, NE of the picnic shelters. We parked at the lot
at 1st and 4th.

We tried to stop at the Burnaby Lake Nature House at the end of Piper Ave
to see the crossbills, but it was pouring rain and once we had set out, we
decided a mile was too far to walk in it. Next time.

The BRAMBLING was present with a mixed flock in a bush behind 868 w 17th
ave in Vancouver. We walked through the alley to see it. Was amazed at how
easy this was after our effort with the bluetail.

We then headed over to the 72nd Street entrance of Boundary Bay Regional
Park and were blown away by the raptor show there. We saw two LONG EARED
OWLS, many SHORT EARED OWLS dueling with what seemed like maybe 10 NORTHERN
HARRIERS. A few RED TAILED HAWKS mixed in as well as a AMERICAN KESTREL and
a younger BALD EAGLE. It really did seem like two many raptors for one
territory and they were all letting us know that they think so too. Quite a
bit of flying and fighting. We watched this for quite awhile and then
walked further west down the path to see 3 SNOWY OWLS. On the drive out we
counted at least 25 BALD EAGLES as well as two RING NECKED PHEASANT. It was
so amazing, it was almost ridiculous.

Michele

--
These are the good times in your life, so put on a smile and it'll be
alright.