[Tweeters] eBird Report - Lake Sammamish State Park, Jan 27, 2013

Sharon Cormier-Aagaard scormieraa001 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 28 13:32:25 PST 2013

Hi Tweets,

You may have already seen John Tubb's Tweeter note from yesterday about the male WILSON'S WARBLER spotted by Julie in our group. Pretty neat!

For those who are interested, here's my eBird report of our walk at Lake Sam. As part of Seattle Audubon's Master Birder program, Sarah, Suzy, Julie, Harsi, Ezra, John T, John W, and Sharon birded Lake Sammamish State Park on Jan 27, from 8: 15 am to 1: 45 pm. Nature gave us temps ranging 38-41 degrees F, winds 7-15 mph, and steady drizzle from 10 am on. HIGHLIGHTS: 1 MERLIN, 6 DUNLIN, 1 RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER, 1 adult NORTHERN SHRIKE (singing several times!), 2 VARIED THRUSH (heard), & the celebrity of the day, spotted by Julie and enjoyed by all, a male WILSON'S WARBLER!
53 species (+3 other taxa)

Cackling Goose 250
Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima) 12
Gadwall 6
American Wigeon 30
Northern Shoveler 2
Green-winged Teal (American) 1
Ring-necked Duck 2
Greater/Lesser Scaup 60
Bufflehead 20
Common Goldeneye 5
Hooded Merganser 5
Common Merganser 1
Pied-billed Grebe 6
Horned Grebe 1
Western Grebe 2
Double-crested Cormorant 6
Great Blue Heron 4
Bald Eagle 1 Adult
Red-tailed Hawk (Western) 2 pair, copulating
American Coot 100
Dunlin 6
Mew Gull (American) 1
Ring-billed Gull 6
California Gull 1
Glaucous-winged Gull 4
Western x Glaucous-winged Gull (hybrid) 1
Herring Gull 1
Rock Pigeon 12
Anna's Hummingbird 3
Belted Kingfisher 1 Female with fish
Red-breasted Sapsucker 1
Downy Woodpecker (Pacific) 1
Northern Flicker 1
Northern Flicker (Red-shafted) 2
Merlin 1
Northern Shrike 1 Singing, several times!
American Crow 30
Black-capped Chickadee 16
Chestnut-backed Chickadee 6
Bushtit (Pacific) 10
Red-breasted Nuthatch 3
Brown Creeper 3
Pacific Wren 4
Bewick's Wren 3
Golden-crowned Kinglet 25
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 16
American Robin 25
Varied Thrush 2 heard
European Starling 12
Wilson's Warbler 1 male, foraging low in a shaded area in a thicket of blackberry bushes and other low brush. All 7 of us got great looks! Nice surprise.
Spotted Towhee (Pacific) 3
Song Sparrow 6
Golden-crowned Sparrow 1
Dark-eyed Junco (Oregon) 20