[Tweeters] Blaine/Semiahmoo Field Trip Report

Mechejmch mechejmch at aol.com
Mon Jan 28 16:06:38 PST 2013

On Sunday at 8 AM, eleven hardy birders set out for a morning of good birding at Marine Park in Blaine. The rain gods gave us a window of opportunity to walk the entire waterfront area before we carpooled to the Semiahmoo Spit for the second half. By the time we arrived at the tip of the spit, those very same rain gods closed the window, but we did have a nice warm place to enjoy hot soup/sandwiches, etc., at the Marina Cafe.

Being the hardy birders that we are/were, we decided to test the waters after lunch and found them to be cold and wet. After a fairly good soaking, we decided to call it a good day and agreed to reconvene when there would be even more birds and perhaps better weather.

All things considered, it was indeed a good day with good friends and a variety of birds. The channel between the Blaine waterfront and Semiahmoo continues to be one of the best places in the state to sample the birds that winter here. The numbers will only get better as winter fades and spring approaches. Along the shorelines and from the spacious public piers at Blaine and Semiahmoo, we had good opportunities to view and discuss numerous species. Some of the species in abundance were three winter loons, four grebes, two scoters, both goldeneyes, two cormorants, Brant, Bald Eagles, one Peregrine Falcon, Long-tailed Ducks, Red-breasted Mergansers, Buffleheads, Dunlin, Sanderlings, as well as miscellaneous other ducks and passerines that we encountered on our walks.

A couple of birds that added to the day were the lone Least Sandpiper that allowed everyone close-up views at the boat launch area and the one-legged Black Turnstone that was hopping around behind the resort. I'm certain that this was the same turnstone that I spent time with last year.

So, a great big thanks to all who made the day special for me. Let's do it, again!

Joe Meche
Bellingham