[Tweeters] Tweeters Archives

Kevin Purcell kevinpurcell at pobox.com
Thu Jan 31 16:09:11 PST 2013

On Jan 29, 2013, at 3:55 PM, Vincent Lucas wrote:

> What's up with the Tweeters archives? I've tried many a search on there with no success. As an example, I'm trying to find out more about the Northern Mockingbird and Rock Wren that were seen a year ago in Port Angeles, Clallam Co. I've tried searching the term "mockingbird" and "wren" as well as "Northern Mockingbird" and "Rock Wren" and I get no hits. Can anyone explain this and perhaps tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

Vincent:

The searching software used by Pipermail for the Tweeters archives is not as good as you'd find in most modern systems.

I find it's easier to use Google site specific search on the Tweeters archive site for specific hits i.e. search of the text you want plus site://mailman1.u.washington.edu/pipermail/tweeters/

For example, try this search

http://www.google.com/search?q=Northern+Mockingbird+site://mailman1.u.washington.edu/pipermail/tweeters/

Add more search terms to narrow the search to find a particular sighting (year? month?).

Not perfect but quite effective.
--
Kevin Purcell (Capitol Hill, Seattle, WA)
kevinpurcell at pobox.com | @kevinpurcell