[Tweeters] Yellowlegs vs. Stickleback?

Jeff Gibson gibsondesign at msn.com
Sun Sep 21 08:04:35 PDT 2014

Hank,
Thanks for the entertaining and interesting video of a Yellowlegs trying to choke down a fish.Better to try to choke down a fish, than to actually choke on a fish, which I think could've happened in this situation.
That's because it looks to me like that fish is a Three-spined Stickleback - about the right size, shape, and habitat (they live in fresh/brackish/ or salt water). Interesting how the Yellowlegs just can't quite close the deal - the fish just keeps getting stuck, even though it didn't look too big, and that's exactly what the gnarly spines on a stickleback are for - swallow prevention.
Smallish fish-eating birds ( like european Kingfisher, and Little Grebe) have been found dead with Sticklebacks stuck in their craw. So maybe, if indeed that was a Stickleback, it was a win/win situation for fish and Yellowlegs.
Thanks for all of your photos and videos on tweeters!
Jeff Gibsonwatching birds and fish inPort Townsend Wa