[Tweeters] Four Fine Hours @ Rattlesnake Lake (including a Merlin !)

Barbara Deihl barbdeihl at comcast.net
Sun Sep 21 16:40:23 PDT 2014

2 Turkey Vultures, an Osprey, perfect temps, blue sky, turquoise lake, striking cliffs, people enjoying a relaxing afternoon, and then, out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a fast-flying falcon heading after a few crows. Right down there on the 'beach' of stones, rocks and stumps, Merlie took a break, allowing me seconds to capture a shot, while it sat on a stone. People were in the area, but no one paid the birds any heed except me. One whistling gentleman walked out towards the Merlin, causing it to lift off, but it was very exciting to see, hear and watch the small falcon.

Link to Flickr album with scenics and one photo of the Merlin below.
I figured it was a young Merlin, as it was chasing crows, an activity usually reserved for adults during nesting season, and it was practicing one of the Merlin calls (not the kee-kee-kee - a quicker, repetitive one). Adult Merlins usually don't vocalize like that much in the off-season. Anyone able to confirm my assessment (or dispute it) ? Any guesses as to sub-species?

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk3oc6hM

Barb Deihl
barbdeihl at comcast.net