[Tweeters] American Redstart Yard Bird!

Joshua Glant josh.n.glant at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 19:38:23 PDT 2014

Hello Tweeters,

This is a rather late report of a rare bird I saw in my backyard.

On August 26th, at 3:10 PM, I was looking at my yard
outside my kitchen window, near a rhododendron tree where our two suet
cages, seed feeder, bird bath and hummingbird feeder are hung, when I saw
an unusual bird hovering for a moment in front of a leaf, then fluttering
in to a group of roses. I immediately realized that it was something
unusual.

For a few seconds, I thought that this bird could've been a Warbling Vireo
(which I saw earlier this week in the yard, a yard bird!) or a Wilson's
Warbler (also in the tree this week, last night), but when I looked at it
closer, I realized that it was something else. It had a light gray head, a
darker gray back and wings, two yellow-green patches on both sides of the
breast, almost like on a Yellow-rumped Warbler, and a slate-gray tail with
bright yellow-green sides.

After a few seconds of being stumped, something clicked. I suddenly
recognized it as a fall female American Redstart! When it flicked its tail,
revealing a dark T-shape on its rectrices with yellow-green sides, I knew
for certain that that's what it was. Fortunately, my camera was only a few
feet away, so I got good video and two blurry photos! I have not seen the
bird since, but fortunately, most of my family got to see it.

To my knowledge, the American Redstart is quite rare in the
southern Puget Sound area, with less than a dozen records, excepting a few
birds at the Stillwater Unit of the Snoqualmie Wildlife Area.

Does anyone on Tweeters know the precise number of sightings around the
Seattle area? I know of eight from around the southern Puget Sound, not
counting Stillwater, and one record of a male hybrid on Queen Anne in 2009.

Thanks for reading my first Tweeters message ever! I’m sorry that it’s so
long; I’m just so excited about my sighting!

Thanks again, Joshua Glant

Joshua Glant

Mercer Island, WA

Josh.n.glant at gmail.com