[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 12/2/15

Phil Kelley scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 08:28:21 PST 2015

Tweets,

Yesterday 28 of us enjoyed a nice walk at Nisqually that went longer than
usual.
The day was overcast and chilly and we had a 14.2 high tide at 10:50 AM.
Lots of water in the reclamation are outside the dikes.

It started slow and I joked that we might be done by 10:00. Then we got to
the orchard and things changed. In the orchard we found DOWNY WOODPECKERS,
VARIED THRUSH, SPARROWS, CHICKADEES, and BROWN CREEPERS. Near the gate to
the maintenance area we found a couple or RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKERS. The pond
across from the orchard held several species of waterfowl and the thickets
around it had more CHICKADEES and both KINGLETS.

There were about 1500 CACKLING GEESE on the field across from the parking
lot and we found the RED-SHOULDERED HAWK in the tree line south of the twin
barns. It sat with its back to us for several minutes and then relocated a
bit further south facing us. We all got great looks at the white" wrists"
when it flew.

With the water so high many of the waterfowl usually far off in the
reclamation are were much closer and afforded great looks. We couldn't find
a EURASIAN WIGEON among the hundreds of AMERICAN WIGEON there, but did find
one off the viewing platform at the start of the estuary boardwalk.

There were VIRGINIA RAILS chattering in the cattails and an AMERICAN
BITTERN was spotted on the interior marsh. A NORTHERN SHRIKE made a brief
appearance along the closed portion of the dike and we all got good looks
at about a dozen WESTERN MEADOWLARKS.

The only shorebirds I saw were about 20 GREATER YELLOWLEGS working the mud
in the reclamation area. Folks who walked the estuary dike had more.

For the day I had 51 species and still have 149 for the year, Mammals seen
were HARBOR SEAL in the Nisqually River and GRAY SQUIRREL.

Until next week......

Phil Kelley
Lacey, WA
scrubjay323 at gmail.com