[Tweeters] Seattle Audubon South King Co Puget Sound Field Trip - 5 December 2015

Matt Bartels mattxyz at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 5 17:17:17 PST 2015

Hi Tweeters
Today Dasha Gudalewicz and I led 9 hardy birders on a trip to various stops along the Puget Sound in South King County and a little bit of Pierce County. The weather predictions were accurate, as the rain began soon after we began at our first stop, and was steady throughout the day. We ended the day soggy and a bit chilly, but we had a great time and got good looks at many saltwater birds. Though nothing particularly rare showed up, we enjoyed the chance to pay closer attention to behavior and things like the white of a Surf Scoter’s eye at point-blank range.

Stops and highlights:

Des Moines Marina fishing pier:
Common & Barrow’s Goldeneye
Surf Scoter
Red-breasted & Common Merganser
Horned, Western & Red-necked Grebes
Red-throated Loon

Zenith Steps [closed, but looking down from the top]
White-winged Scoter
Common Loon

Saltwater State Park
Spotted Sandpiper - 3 of them
more of the same water birds

Redondo Beach
Pigeon Guillemot
Yellow-rumped Warbler [both Audubon’s & Myrtle’s]

Dumas Bay Natural Area
Greater Scaup
Merlin - great distant looks at a perched Merlin, along with a couple fly-bys
Orange-crowned Warbler

Dash Point State Park
Varied Thrush
more of the same waterbirds

And in Pierce County
After a stop at Dash Point fishing pier, we made one final stop along Commencement Bay at an overlook for the log-booms along the north side.
Black Turnstone & Brandt’s Cormorants were the best prizes.

We made it to a fun day, despite the weather!

Matt Bartels
Seattle WA
Dasha Gudalewicz
Sammamish, WA