[Tweeters] Need an ID please on a bird from New Mexico - I am thoroughly confused now ....

retief retief at deweydrive.com
Sun Dec 6 13:37:18 PST 2015


The pictures I find in Sibley's and iBird don't look quite like either
the Canyon Towhee or the Tufted Titmouse. Looks closer to me, perhaps,
to the Juniper or Oak Titmouse, but other factors don't seem quite right
to me, like location. The Towhee, to me, does not look much like this
at all.

Betty, as to the crest, I agree, and it seems a bit red-tinted to me as
well.

Could you folks please explain to me why you think it is one or the
other, and maybe point me to a source where I can compare better and
learn more?

Thanks a bunch.


> Betty <mailto:bettinab39 at yahoo.com>

> Sunday, December 6, 2015 1:14 PM

> But the second picture, Bill, shows a crest...it could be a tufted

> titmouse.., could it not?

>

> Betty

> Chimacum

> bettinab39 at yahoo.com

>

> -----Original Message-----

> From: tweeters-bounces at mailman1.u.washington.edu

> [mailto:tweeters-bounces at mailman1.u.washington.edu] On Behalf Of Joshua

> Glant

> Sent: Sunday, December 06, 2015 9:57 AM

> To: retief at deweydrive.com

> Cc: Tweeters<tweeters at u.washington.edu>

> Subject: Re: [Tweeters] Need an ID please on a bird from New Mexico

>

> Hi Bill,

>

> You've got a Canyon Towhee! I can't think of any other New Mexico sparrow

> that is buffy grey all over with slightly rufous undertail coverts. Nice

> bird - I've never been in range to see one! :)

>

> Good birding, Joshua Glant

>

> Mercer Island, WA

>

> Josh(dot)n(dot)glant(at)gmail(dot)com

>

>> On Dec 6, 2015, at 9:49 AM, retief<retief at deweydrive.com> wrote:

>>

>> Just got back from Bosque del Apache and photographed this little bird:

>>

> http://deweydrive.com/photos/var/albums/Misc/Misc/BD-20151202-13372087-NIKON

> %20D810.JPG?m=1449423702

> http://deweydrive.com/photos/var/albums/Misc/Misc/BD-20151202-13334679-NIKON

> %20D810.JPG?m=1449423861

>> For the life of me I can't find this in Sibley's, which simply means I am

> looking in the wrong place. I'd sure think "finch".

>> Thanks for any help.

>>

>> --

>>

>> Bill Dewey

>> www.thefocusedeye.com

>> www.deweydrive.com

>> _______________________________________________

>> Tweeters mailing list

>> Tweeters at u.washington.edu

>> http://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/tweeters

> _______________________________________________

> Tweeters mailing list

> Tweeters at u.washington.edu

> http://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/tweeters

>

>

> Joshua Glant <mailto:josh.n.glant at gmail.com>

> Sunday, December 6, 2015 9:57 AM

> Hi Bill,

>

> You've got a Canyon Towhee! I can't think of any other New Mexico

> sparrow that is buffy grey all over with slightly rufous undertail

> coverts. Nice bird - I've never been in range to see one! :)

>

> Good birding, Joshua Glant

>

> Mercer Island, WA

>

> Josh(dot)n(dot)glant(at)gmail(dot)com

>

>

> retief <mailto:retief at deweydrive.com>

> Sunday, December 6, 2015 9:49 AM

> Just got back from Bosque del Apache and photographed this little bird:

> http://deweydrive.com/photos/var/albums/Misc/Misc/BD-20151202-13372087-NIKON%20D810.JPG?m=1449423702

>

> http://deweydrive.com/photos/var/albums/Misc/Misc/BD-20151202-13334679-NIKON%20D810.JPG?m=1449423861

>

>

> For the life of me I can't find this in Sibley's, which simply means I

> am looking in the wrong place. I'd sure think "finch".

>

> Thanks for any help.

>


--

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com
www.deweydrive.com


More information about the Tweeters mailing list