[Tweeters] Options for photo IDs - Canyon Towhee ID on my ID request

Hal Michael ucd880 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 9 07:16:04 PST 2015

We seem to believe, or at least are told, that technology will provide all the answers. A common comment that was in (at least older) field guides is that some birds are not identifiable in the field. While this was generally applied to Empids and maybe immature gulls, it has broader applications.

One particularly humbling experience for me occurred with fish. At a conference, one guy showed a series of fish pictures and asked us to identify them as coastal cutthroat or rainbow trout. We were in close to 100% agreement as to which were cuts and which were 'bows. Then he told us were were close to 100% wrong, based on the genetic identification run on each of them. A few years later this happened to a colleague working with some fish in Lake Washington.

Even the computer programs like Merlin are based on averages and will miss outliers, odd plumages, and different poses. They will also miss size. In this case, unless it was a bantam towhee, the size differential between a towhee and a titmouse should separate them immediately. They are just very different in size and shape.

The last aspect, commonly used by seabird observers, is what is called "jizz". As explained to me, jazz is simply the sum of behavior, flight pattern, shape, and a myriad of other aspects that are accumulated by actual observation. Species A has deep wingbeats, species B has a "twinkling (see swifts)" flight, species C is skimming the surface, and Species D is 5m above the waves. Again, in this case, the towhee is on or near the ground and the titmouse is up in a tree, probably near the ends of branches.

This is what makes observing nature, and not just ticking, so much much fun. The more I watch things, the more I learn about them and the easier they become to identify.

And I still get IDs wrong and sometimes it will amaze me how far odd I can get.

Hal Michael
Science Outreach Director, Sustainable Fisheries Foundation
Olympia WA
360-459-4005
360-791-7702 (C)
ucd880 at comcast.net