Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Dec 10 14:36:13 PST 2015

Tweets – not the nicest day for birding. At least the thunder and lightening that Matt walked through in the early pre-dawn didn’t stick around. Instead, we got a little of everything, including a moment when we could see our shadows. But mostly it was some combination of dark overcast, paler overcast, gusty winds, rain, and pleasant. Very changeable, and rarely pleasant. Rarely birdy too.

The park is also significantly flooded. There was nearly a foot of water over the trail as we approached the boardwalk, and zero to six inches of water over the boardwalk. There was about 15 inches of water leading to the Rowing Club dock. As I was wearing 15 inch boots, I only got close before deciding there wasn’t much purpose in going all the way.

Highlights:

Cackling Goose Some moderately large flocks, never landed.
Common Goldeneye 1 male in slough – First of Fall
Cooper’s Hawk Adult and juvenile as we started the walk, calling
Barn Owl Matt saw one about 6:00 a.m. from Viewing Mound
R.-breasted Sapsucker One NE of mansion
Northern Shrike Juvenile on soccer posts, north of fields 7-8-9
Bushtit Flock in willows in the middle of slough below weir
Western Meadowlark 2 near model airplane field early, N of Viewing Mound later

Matt had COYOTE and AMERICAN BEAVER in his pre-dawn walk.

For the day, just 45 species. CACKLING GEESE were our only geese, MALLARD were the only dabbling ducks, we managed to count 3 species of gulls in some large flocks but might have missed others as the flock was VERY flighty due to a Bald Eagle, and HOUSE FINCH was our only finch.

Remarkably, I heard no real complaints from the 15 birders. It wasn’t cold (47 degrees), so it wasn’t miserable. And we did see some things.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com