[Tweeters] Red-naped Sapsucker at Washington Park Arbouretum

Anne Jacobs annejacobs11 at mac.com
Thu Jan 1 14:18:36 PST 2015

Starting out the New Year with a great bird! Mary Anne Thorbeck re-located the Red-naped Sapsucker this morning and alerted me so I could join her in seeing and photographing the bird. It was exactly where we had first seen it 3 days ago - Pacific Connections Garden, on an Abies pinosapo tree, located about 50 yards south of the octagonal gazebo. The tree is to the west of the trail, downhill side, about 20 feet.

We observed and photographed the bird for about 20 minutes and, as before, a Red-breasted Sapsucker flew in, vocalized, and the Red-naped moved way up the tree and out of view. This time we got a number of decent photographs to document the bird.

The path there has a number of Abies of various species, most of which are pocked with sap wells. Ruby-crowned Kinglets and Anna's Hummingbirds are frequent visitors to the wells.

Here is a link to photos of the Red-naped and Red-breasted Sapsuckers seen today.