[Tweeters] FW: eBird Report - Marymoor Park, Jan 1, 2015

Andrew McCormick andy_mcc at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 1 18:43:01 PST 2015

Hello Tweets,

Eleven birders joined Andy McCormick for the third annual New Year's Day Bird Walk at Marymoor Park in Redmond. It was a cold start to the day but it warmed up nicely. Unfortunately we did not see any owls as we had hoped to. Despite that, visibility was great and we saw a nice assortment of birds including a Merlin, good numbers of Golden-crowned and Fox Sparrows, and close looks at a Pileated Woodpecker hammering at a tree at eye level and a Downy Woodpecker very busy extracting a worm from a tree limb he exposed. Thirty-two Killdeer on the soccer fields was a surprising number and a busy flock of Yellow-rumped Warblers pleased the group.
It's great to start the year birding. I hope everyone has a good year in 2015. Here is the eBird report I submitted.

> Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2015 21:25:40 -0500

> From: ebird-checklist at cornell.edu

> To: andy_mcc at hotmail.com

> Subject: eBird Report - Marymoor Park, Jan 1, 2015

> Marymoor Park, King, US-WA

> Jan 1, 2015 7:00 AM - 1:40 PM

> Protocol: Traveling

> 3.0 mile(s)

> Comments: This New Year's Day Bird Walk was sponsored by Eastside Audubon and led by Andy McCormick. Eleven other birders joined to brave the cold weather and had a good morning of birding. Seven birders left the group at Noon. The weather was cold with temp at 23F in the morning warming to 41F by 1:00 p.m. The wind was calm. Skies were clear and sunny.

> 47 species

> Greater White-fronted Goose 3

> Cackling Goose 800

> Canada Goose 72

> Gadwall 3

> American Wigeon 12

> Mallard 40

> Northern Pintail 1

> Green-winged Teal 5

> Bufflehead 3

> Common Goldeneye 2

> Hooded Merganser 1

> Common Merganser 3

> Pied-billed Grebe 2

> Double-crested Cormorant 2

> Great Blue Heron 8

> Bald Eagle 2

> American Coot 4

> Killdeer 32

> Ring-billed Gull 2

> Anna's Hummingbird 1

> Belted Kingfisher 1

> Downy Woodpecker 4

> Northern Flicker 1

> Pileated Woodpecker 1

> Merlin 1 I thought this was a Black subspecies. Face and back very dark even in good light in scope view. Seen perched in tree from the slough side between the slough and the mansion.

> Steller's Jay 3

> American Crow 12

> Black-capped Chickadee 24

> Chestnut-backed Chickadee 5

> Red-breasted Nuthatch 2

> Brown Creeper 3

> Bewick's Wren 1

> Golden-crowned Kinglet 16

> Ruby-crowned Kinglet 4

> American Robin 25

> European Starling 5

> Yellow-rumped Warbler 8

> Spotted Towhee 9 Five were foraging together along the trail from the boardwalk to the East Meadow.

> Fox Sparrow 5

> Song Sparrow 11

> White-crowned Sparrow 1

> Golden-crowned Sparrow 27

> Dark-eyed Junco 13

> Red-winged Blackbird 4

> House Finch 5

> Pine Siskin 20

> American Goldfinch 1 Flying over, heard only

> View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S21129916

Andy McCormickEastside AudubonBellevue, WA