[Tweeters] Eide LEO & SEO(s) & a NOHA - 1/3/15

Barbara Deihl barbdeihl at comcast.net
Sat Jan 3 23:27:47 PST 2015

A mere dozen or so vehicles were parked at Eide this afternoon between 3 & 5 p.m. when I was there. One Long-eared Owl kept the probing eyes and lenses at bay while it successfully ate a large vole. The dense thicket of blackberries and lots of branches helped it stay hidden much of the time. Shortears flew around, called out, and perched - I saw no major action among them and Northern Harriers or each other - a pretty even-keel afternoon.

I had gone up there to see the owls and in that regard, the visit was a success. But as for photos, I just did a few and they are pretty marginal, compared with those posted here in the last few days. Here's the link to my album anyway (below). I saw the Longear with the vole, through my binoculars, but never captured any photos that included the vole. I hope that someone who did photograph the owl with the vole, will post a photo or 2 here on Tweeters - I heard people saying they did see and get a few pics of the feeding. No videos that I know of.

Of course, the outing was less than super-duper, without much action, sun or beautiful sunset color and clouds, but at least there was no wind or precipitation and there were owls to be seen. Worth the drive...

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7oDNuW (Flickr album: Eide LEO, SEO(s) & a NOHA - 1/3/15)

Barb Deihl
barbdeihl at comcast.net