[Tweeters] Northern Shrike, Clark Co./Kite Update

Ray rkorpi at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 6 12:51:35 PST 2015

All,
Took a fast drive to Steigerwald this noon to see if the kite was around (and figure out how far the refuge is from my new office at Clark-Columbia Tech Center). The White-tailed Kite was not in view in the few minutes I could spare (had been seen between 1130 and Noon), and a Red-shouldered Hawk had also been reported from the parking lot. Lots of people out there looking.

I was rewarded however with a NORTHERN SHRIKE next to the 192th offramp (about halfway up the onramp) as I came back to campus. It's been a while since I have had one of those in Clark Co. To look for this bird, I think you'd need to park on 192nd near the quarry as best as possible--no place to stop on the onramp--I was lucky the bird was close and the light good.
RK

Ray Korpi

rkorpi at hotmail.com

Vancouver WA