[Tweeters] Clallam County Today

Carol Riddell cariddellwa at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 21:00:39 PST 2015

I was looking for dry weather and no flooding so I went to Clallam County today. The Strait was as calm as the proverbial mill pond, no rain, and the temperatures were mild. I started at the Elwha River mouth and spent a pleasant hour looking for the Rosy-Finches. No sight of them. I suspect with the milder temperature on the coast, they have headed back up in elevation

I spent two hours this morning, and another hour and a half this afternoon, standing sea watch on Port Angeles Harbor. There were few Common Murres in the harbor, never more than fifteen. When I turned my scope to the Strait, I really couldn't see more than a couple out there. Again, I think the calm seas and mild temperatures kept most murres, including the Thick-billed Murre, dispersed. Another day, another try. The Snow Buntings were very easy to locate and there was the usual small flock of Black Turnstones along with two Ruddy Turnstones. I've attached a few photos to this ebird checklist:

Carol Riddell
Edmonds, Wa