[Tweeters] Pine Siskins and Malheur / Lower Klamath / Tulelake suggestions & New Years Day!! - / Caryn Wedgwood

Caryn Schutzler bluedarner1 at seanet.com
Fri Jan 9 10:58:56 PST 2015

Hi Tweeters - Happy New Year!!

Had not been seeing Pine Siskins much this year and this morning, every porthole on the feeders had one, chowing down.
Also many juncos, a lone Townsend's Warbler and other usual visitors.

Also, would love to have suggestions where to stay near Malheur (Burns/Hines) - I've heard of Silver Spur. Also near Tulelake and Lower Klamath. Just wondering if there are any favorite places to stay or not to stay - that is the question. I checked out Winema Lodge - ironically a historic hunting lodge but many birders stay there too. Any one familiar with it or other suggestions for this area? I heard mid-May is best time to go. If anyone has thoughts on this, would love to hear for planning our visit there.

We seem to have a resident Anna's (one or two or more?) which perches right outside the window in the wisteria. Luckily (knock on wood) I don't have a broken foot this January, but I will definitely be watching the fluff ball in February for signs of nesting. I'll cross my fingers for a repeat of last year with a wish for it to be lower, right below the window so we can watch from above. Stay tuned...

Caryn / Wedgwood

OMG - I didn't even mention our New Year's outing on the Bremerton Ferry with Faye and Diane Y-Q!! It was a beautiful, briskly cold morning and my friend Maggie and I met Faye and Diane and birded on the ferry to Bremerton and back to Seattle (after a quick lunch in Bremerton).

To name a few (they listed on ebird) cormorants, gulls, auklets, guillemots (they saw Long tailed ducks we did not) and my favorite of the day was a small group of Harlequin Ducks. We saw hundreds of scoters, some mergansers.

This was my friend Maggie's and my 4th Annual New Year's Day bird outing. It was great being with a couple of Master Birders along to help id.

Thank you to Diane and Faye!!! it was a real hoot!