[Tweeters] hybrid or Eurasian wigeon @ Capitol Lake

Jennifer DeSelle jendeselle at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 11 19:55:06 PST 2015

I was taking a stroll with my family around Capitol Lake this afternoon (N. basin) and spotted a male wigeon with a rusty head and creamy stripe on forehead.  He was swimming with a female who seemed to have an overall rusty appearance compared to the American wigeon.  I knew they looked different but didn't have my binoculars (or the patience of my family) to observe all of the details.  The pair was hanging out in the N. section of the basin, close to Heritage Park parking lot.  I won't have a chance to get out there an investigate more closely anytime soon, but if anyone else sees the pair (and can identify them) let me know!
Thanks,
JenOlympia, WA