[Tweeters] Neah Bay - Jan 12-13 - House Wren, Long-eared Owl, Orchard Oriole, Pine Grosbeaks

Ryan Merrill rjm284 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 22:12:37 PST 2015

I'm just back from two days in Neah Bay where the birding was
excellent as usual. I've been surprised not to see many reports from
there after early November's rush, so have been looking forward to
getting back out there and seeing what was around. On Monday the 12th
I spent much of the day birding the town. I also walked Hobuck Beach
and spent dusk in the Wa'atch Valley. On Tuesday morning I visited
Cape Flattery, the Wa'atch Valley, Tsoo-Yess Beach, and the Makah Fish
Hatchery.

Highlights of the 103 species found:

Greater White-fronted Goose - 24 - 20 Neah Bay, 4 Makah Fish Hatchery
Brant - 1 - hanging out with the GWF Goose flock in Neah Bay
Trumpeter Swan - 14 - Wa'atch Valley, Tsoo-Yess Valley
Ruddy Duck - 2 Neah Bay
YELLOW-BILLED LOON - 1 - adult at Neah Bay
Eared Grebe - 17+ - Neah Bay, including a flock of 16+
Laysan Albatross - 1 - dead at Tsoo-Yess Beach along with a fulmar and
many Cassin's Auklets
Least Sandpiper - 2 - Wa'atch Valley
Wilson's Snipe - 1 - Hobuck Beach
Ancient Murrelet - 845 - mostly from Neah Bay, including two flocks of
about 90 birds streaming west down the strait
Herring Gull - ~50 - mostly at Hobuck Beach
Thayer's Gull - ~300 - mostly at Hobuck Beach
Herring x Glaucous-winged Gull - 15 - mostly at Hobuck Beach
Great Horned Owl - 2 - Wa'atch Valley, hooting at dusk
LONG-EARED OWL - 1 - Wa'atch Valley, close views of one hunting at
dusk, just west of the bridge on the old road
Northern Saw-whet Owl - 1 - Hobuck Beach, flew out of the woods and
perched along the road at the south end of the beach before dusk
Hutton's Vireo - 3 - Neah Bay
HOUSE WREN - 1 - Neah Bay, very rare in Washington in winter and
unusual at the coast at any time, this bird was calling in a thicket
at the north end of Ba'adah Village Loop Rd, east of the coast guard
station
Orange-crowned Warbler - 1 - Neah Bay, my only warbler
Lincoln's Sparrow - 1 - Neah Bay, Wa'atch Valley
White-throated Sparrow - 1 - Neah Bay
Western Meadowlark - 1 - Hobuck Beach
ORCHARD ORIOLE - 1 - Neah Bay, Washington's 8th record continues to
visit the hummingbird feeders at Bay View & Lincoln
PINE GROSBEAK - 16 - 3 Wa'atch STP, 13 Tsoo-Yess Beach - very rare
anywhere on the coast, most of these were adult males

On the way home I stopped at Ediz Hook and had nice views of one of
the wintering Ruddy Turnstones and the continuing THICK-BILLED MURRE.
At dusk I stood at Three Crabs in Dungeness where I finally saw my
first Short-eared Owl on the Olympic Peninsula, as well as one of the
wintering Black-crowned Night-Herons heading out to hunt for the
night. I'll have some pictures up on my Flickr site, but probably not
for a few days.

Good birding,
Ryan Merrill
Kirkland