[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 1/14/15

scrubjay323 at aol.com scrubjay323 at aol.com
Wed Jan 14 21:04:40 PST 2015

Tweets,

Today 34 of us enjoyed a chilly, damp walk at Nisqually. It was 39 degrees and damp at the start and never really warmed up until about noon. There was a 13.4 high tide at 11:40 so we had lots of water in the reclamation area.

Best sighting of the day was a toss up between and apparent EURASIAN TEAL/GREEN-WINGED TEAL intergrade and a pod of ORCAS out in the Sound near the mouth of the Nisqually River.

Shep Thorp got some photos of the teal and is submitting them for verification. First teal like this that I've seen.

After I left the refuge I went to Luhr Beach and scoped the ORCAS as the worked the Sound. A boat crew of researchers landed and said this was the traveling pod, not one of the local pods. This pod feeds on seals and sea lions not fish like the resident pods do. Explains why so many seals and sea lions were near the boat ramp.

At one point we counted 36 BALD EAGLES on the refuge, mostly along the Nisqually River.

On McAllister creek we had COMMON GOLDENEYE, a RED-THROATED LOON and COMMON MERGANSERS along with the usual dabbling ducks.

The SNOW GOOSE and its court of GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE was present inside the new dike and the GREAT HORNED OWLS were heard hooting shortly after 7:00 but never relocated. An adult was seen and photographed Monday near last year's nest tree. We'll keep our eyes open .

For the day I had 55 species and have 63 for the year. Mammals seen included BLACK-TAILED DEER, HARBOR SEAL, CALIFORNIA SEA LION, and ORCA.

Until next week.....

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at aol.com
Lacey, WA