[Tweeters] Marymoor 15 January 2015

B&PBell bellasoc at isomedia.com
Thu Jan 15 18:21:01 PST 2015

Hi Tweets

We had a cold (28F to start), relatively slow day at Marymoor, although it
warmed to 43F by the end of our day. Michael is still in Costa Rica (so Matt
and I got to sub), so we held off on finding any rarities so he will be more
enthusiastic about coming back after his undoubtedly great time down south.

It was clear and cold (28F) to start, and some fog made an attempt to form,
but quickly retreated with a slight breeze. The predicted clouds moved in
early and it was overcast the rest of the morning, or misty rainy. But the
main rain held off til we finished.

In spite of the less than best conditions it was quite birdy, although many
were heard rather than seen. We did see or hear 56 species - nice for what
looked like a not very good day to start.

Interesting birds today:

Northern Saw-whet Owl - early by Matt

Trumpeter Swans - 2 flew over calling - this is one of the few times we have
had vocal confirmation of the species.

Virginia Rail - heard only

Downy Woodpecker - heard only

Pileated Woodpecker - heard only

Marsh Wren - heard only

Pacific Wren - heard only

Purple Finch - heard only

Cooper's Hawk

Sharp-shined Hawk

Accipiter - imm. (likely Cooper's), but too brief look to i.d. for sure

8 Steller's Jays - most for several weeks

Golden-crowned Kinglets - many, and very active

Golden-crowned Sparrows - many

Bald Eagle - only one

Brian H. Bell

Woodinville WA