[Tweeters] Washington county year list project 2014 summary & 2015 launch

Matt Bartels mattxyz at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 19 16:04:04 PST 2015

Hello again Tweeters & INWBers -

Here's the year-end report for 2014 county year list project. Results posted here: http://wabirder.com/county_yearlist.html

We've wrapped another year of compiling county year-lists to build a state-wide snapshot. For nine years we've recruited compilers from every county to keep track of sightings. While individual county listing is fun, the idea behind this project is to compile a 'community' list: all the birds seen by anyone, rather than just those seen by one person. The result is one perspective on the birds of Washington for 2014.

Some results for 2014:
396 species were reported statewide - that's a little above the average for the past eight years [394.5] , largely aided by an end of year bump [the Neah Bay effect].

320 species reported in Eastern Washington, well below the average of 326 and the second lowest species count for the region in the past eight years.
Western Washington, in contrast, repoted 370 species, the second highest total ever reported for the region, and well above the average of 362.

Five counties recorded new record highs Pend Oreille [215], Clark [239], Jefferson [231], Mason [200] & Thurston [232].

Seven counties had totals above 250 , and Clallam [284] came out on top again with 284 species , amazing but still well below 2013''s mark of 301. Other counties over 250 include: Yakima [263], GRays Harbor [260], Walla Walla [259], King [256], Skagit [251], and Okanogan [250].

On the other end, only seven counties reported totals under 200, and only 4 were below 175 -- It is getting to seem that we can find close to 200 species in any corner of the state in any given year.

69 species were seen in all 39 counties and 162 species were found in 30 or more counties. 34 species were found in only one county, a bit higher than normal for these 'one off ticks'.

In addition to the regular info at the link [http://wabirder.com/county_yearlist.html] , I've added a simple sheet that compiles the annual county totals for each county from 2007-2014 -- if you'd like to see

2015 compiling is underway, and I encourage you to look up the compiler for counties you bird in and send along unusual sightings -- most compilers are checking eBird reports already, but eBird still misses a good bit and we appreciate the help making sure we hear about these sightings. You can find a list of the compilers at the above link

Thanks to all the compilers who track each county, and here's to a fun and surprising 2015. If you notice anything not noted on the 2014 list, let us know and make a resolution to report your sightings to the compiler this year .

Matt Bartels
Secretary, WBRC