[Tweeters] Barn Swallows again today in Marysville

stan Kostka lynn Schmidt lynnandstan at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 21 19:48:47 PST 2015

This frosty morning, before sunrise, I observed four Barn Swallows, perched motionless, on a building where I observed them yesterday. Moments after sunrise they began taking short flights around the immediate area and returning to their perch. Shortly, more than four birds were present, indicating others had been roosting somewhere nearby. Today one of the birds was clearly an After Second Year individual, by plumage, and I can say with reasonable certainty this bird was not present among the eight individuals observed yesterday.

I could not locate any really Big Barns in the area, from whence they may have escaped, but did discover that the Marysville sewage lagoon is immediately west of the site, which most likely has been attracting these winter swallows, a phenomenon noted in Birds of Washington.

Stan Kostka
lynnandstan at earthlink.net
Arlington