[Tweeters] Ill House Finch?

tina at songbirdphoto.com tina at songbirdphoto.com
Wed Jan 21 20:51:05 PST 2015

Thank you so much, Candace!!!

I’ll pass on the info right away.

Tina

From: Candace C. Plant [mailto:plantcan at msn.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 5:51 PM
To: tina at songbirdphoto.com
Cc: tweeters
Subject: Re: [Tweeters] Ill House Finch?

Definitely a sick bird and most likely infected with salmonella. You see it every winter & spring and infects pine siskins, finches. They become very lethargic at the feeders and get infected from feces of infected birds.

Take down feeders and disinfect with 10% bleach water. Also disinfect bird baths. Keep feeders down 2 weeks so birds disburse.

If rehab center in area catch sick bird to transport. Bird is dying slow death left outdoors and is not able to stay warm. That is why fluffed up.

I volunteer at Portland Audubon rehab center and we see it.

Candy Plant

Wilsonville, Or

tina at songbirdphoto.com wrote:

Hi,

A friend asked me today if it’s normal for a House Finch to perch and nap at her feeder during the day.

I don’t know. But I’m thinking this might be a sick bird, in which case she should probably remove her feeder for a while.

Can any of you who know whether this is the behavior of a normal or sick bird please let me know?

Thanks!

Tina Blade

Duvall, WA