[Tweeters] ID of Western and Clark's Grebe in Winter in Asotin Coounty

Keith Carlson kec201814 at cableone.net
Fri Jan 23 06:14:19 PST 2015

A few days ago, I posted a photo of two grebes from Asotin County.

The photo and some of the discussion can be found at :https://www.flickr.com/photos/birddog/15716965673/

The discussion generated was lively and has reconfirmed my belief that Winter Clark’s Grebe cannot be identified with any certainty in our area.

These discussions always bring up the possibility of hybrid Western x Clark’s Grebes. From what I can find in the literature, this possibility remains possible but unproven and further confuses the ID’s.

Keith E. Carlson
Lerwiston